From pre-school to doctorate program's, there are many excellent educational opportunities in Lenawee County, Michigan. Adrian is the home of two private colleges, Adrian College and Siena Heights University, as well as a satellite campus for Jackson College. There are a number of public and private elementary and high schools, along with an active vocational program for high school students.
Long-term Academic Success
In addition to excellent institutions, Lenawee County provides students and families with a strong support system to offer long-term, academic success. Lenawee County Education Foundation enables students, teachers, and K-12 schools the ability to advance their careers and educational opportunities. Lenawee County's Education Foundation (LCEF) provides students throughout the county with scholarships to pursue their education and, in 2014, had awarded $336,550 through 316 separate student scholarships. LCEF also provides students with a pathway to success and a network of community leaders within the Cradle to Career program.
For those looking to continue learning during retirement, Life Long Learning provides educational programs for those over 55. Whether for professional or non-professional reasons, Lenawee Life Long Learning provides those pursing knowledge a chance to socialize, stay active in the community, and develop personal sustainability.
View more information about these institutions by clicking a category below or by visiting our microsite Lenawee Education at www.lenaweeedu.org.
K-12 Public Schools
Addison Community Schools
- Along with K-12 Curriculum aligned with Michigan State benchmarks and standards, there are AP classes in all four core subject areas with dual enrollment and credit recovery options.
- Strong K-12 Fine Arts program and 7-12 Athletic programs
- 1:1.6 computer to student ratio.
Adrian Public Schools
- International Baccalaureate Program of Study – IB Diploma & Middle Years Programs (7-12)
- Performing Arts Center and Fine Arts Director making for a K-12 fine arts experience for every student
- Partnership with the Boys & Girls Club of Lenawee
Blissfield Community Schools
- AdvancED District Accreditation.
- EdYES! letter grade of "A" during the 2009-10 academic year for each school.
- Blissfield Middle School received a 2009 Education Excellence Award from the Michigan Association of School Boards.
Britton Deerfield Schools
- Successful Kids Involved People (S.K.I.P.) – reading and math program. Mentors work one on one with a student in grades K-5, who needs help in reading or math.
- Lenawee Intermediate School District – Lenawee’s CHILD a parent, child educator partnership.
- Dual Enrollment at either Monroe Community College, Jackson Community College, Washtenaw Community College, Siena Heights University or Adrian College.
- Pre-school in the Deerfield building in January 2011, serving children ages 3 years old and 4 years old.
- Through a gift from Walter and Leota McNeil, a memorial scholarship for Deerfield seniors was initiated; the elementary playground redeveloped, and updated Middle School textbooks were purchased.
- A reading promotion with the Toledo Mud Hens helps with achievement.
Clinton Community Schools
- No programs or staff cuts or increasing class sizes prior to or during the 2011-12 school year
- More than 200 students have selected Clinton Community Schools as his/her “School of Choice”
- Consistently high MEAP and ACT scores.
Hudson Area Schools
- Third grade math 100 percent proficient; all schools meet AYP.
- First “green” district in the county. Recently installed wind turbine and solar panels for ongoing elementary energy project.
- Competitive and highly successful extra-curricular academic and athletic activities.
Madison School District
- Fastest growing school district in Lenawee County with more than 700 schools of choice students, while still maintaining small class sizes. Family atmosphere were students can grow and progress as they move through their school years without changing buildings.
- Recognized by the Mich. Dept. of Education as a “Beating the Odds” school building because of student academic achievement.
- 21st Century technology with 60 percent of classrooms constructed since 1994.
Morenci Area Schools
- District MEAP and MME scores that are consistently at or above state levels.
- Excellent well-kept facilities that meet the needs of today’s learners.
- Caring supportive community and staff.
Onsted Community Schools
- Caring and committed staff and community dedicated to its students.
- Unique learning opportunities for all students ranging from Advanced Placement, Online Learning Lab and Special Needs.
- Wide variety of extra-curricular activities including athletics, music, art, leadership and community service at all levels, Pre-K through 12.
Sand Creek Community Schools
- One out of three Sand Creek School students is School of Choice
- K-12 curriculum includes a licensed 4-year-old program, K-8 literacy intervention, K-12 art and music programs, K-12 agriculture with an FFA Chapter, high school CAD and industrial arts program.
- Many and varied extra curricular academic and athletic opportunities with numerous student trip opportunities.
Tecumseh Public Schools
- Has the highest Michigan Education Assessment Test scores in Lenawee County and the highest average composite ACT scores among Lenawee County public schools in 2010 at 20.6.
- All bands and orchestras at Tecumseh Public Schools, 7th grade through high school, scored #1 Ratings at Districts. Choir and visual arts students received state honors as well.
- Consistently ranked in the top 10 of all Class B schools in athletics.
K-12 Private Schools
Lenawee Christian School
- Private K-12 option in Lenawee County
- Professional learning community
- Technology for all students
- 90-percent attend college
Montessori Children's House of Lenawee
- Montessori Children's House of Lenawee (MCHL) educates and prepares children for life by providing a personalized learning experience in a nurturing and peaceful environment.
- MCHL lead teachers are accredited by the American Montessori Society (AMS). MCHL is an active member of AMS.
- Our programs meet all State of Michigan licensing requirements for health, safety, student/teacher ratios, teacher qualifications and administration standards.
Sacred Heart of Hudson
- Sacred Heart School is dedicated to educating children with quality academics using traditional and innovative programs while keeping Jesus Christ at the center of it all. Our students receive advantages with a curriculum adjusted to meet their abilities. Our focus is the students and their needs as we pray, learn, and grow together.
- Sacred Heart Catholic School is dedicated to the ministry of providing excellent academics anchored in the Roman Catholic tradition, which nurtures children in Christian values and a life of service.
College & University
Lenawee County is unique in that it has three institutions of higher learning that thrive in the rural setting of the county.
Adrian College was founded in 1859. It is a private, co-educational college of liberal arts and sciences related to The United Methodist Church. It is a traditional four-year, residential college that focuses completely on undergraduate education. Accreditation: North Central Association of Colleges and Schools Facilities: Twenty-one buildings including residence halls that feature voicemail, wireless internet and cable TV access in all student rooms; a 24-hour student center; a planetarium; an observatory; the Merillat Sport and Fitness Center; and Shipman Library. The student to computer ratio is 8 to 1. Enrollment: 1,600
Siena Heights University
With a proven track record of educating working adult students for more than 35 years, Siena Heights University can be an educational resource for your business. A Catholic university founded in the Dominican tradition, Siena Heights offers associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s and specialist’s degree programs, as well as daytime, night and weekend class options. Siena Heights also has a robust internship program, as well as a proactive Career Services Office. Although headquartered in Adrian, Mich., Siena Heights also has degree completion centers in Southfield, Benton Harbor, Monroe, Battle Creek, Lansing, Jackson and Online. Siena Heights is ready to advance the careers of your employees. Let Siena Heights work for you!
JCC is located adjacent to the Lenawee Intermediate School District TECH Center campus and features the latest in technology, expanded classroom spaces, state-of-the-art science wing, full-service bookstore and a bistro. These features and more have allowed JCC @ LISD TECH to expand its course offerings in an attractive, comfortable, and professional atmosphere. Students can complete an associate degree, certificate or get a great start toward a bachelor's degree. JCC is a recognized leader in education, with classes offered at a convenient time, caring faculty, and the convenience of on-site registration, advising, financial aid, and scheduling of classes.
LISD TECH Center
LISD TECH Center creates opportunities for their students to advance in their career fields. The LISD TECH Reverse Job Fair, as seen in the video above, connects students with employers helping them find hands on experience. In addition to to this event, LISD TECH Center works for their students in the following ways:
- Creating instructional relevance by engaging students in “real-world” operations within the LISD
- Skillfully articulating and supporting K-16 career pathway models for Lenawee County students providing students with an achievable strategy to enter post-secondary education
- Enabling students to aid in the preservation and regeneration of essential resources through curricula, learning environments, and instruction that embody environmental sustainability
- LISD Center for a Sustainable Future (LISD CFSF) was awarded the Platinum LEED certification by the U.S. Green Building Council in 2014. It is now the first, net-zero energy K-12 Platinum certified school in the State of Michigan
- The LISD TECH Center Culinary Arts program has been named to the 2014-2015 Elite 50, an exclusive group of high schools and career and technical schools from across the country as selected by Sullivan University (a well-known culinary school in Louisville, Kentucky)
- Preparing students to transition to post-secondary education
- Servicing 11 local school districts and Lenawee County private schools
- Offering 24 Career Technical Education (CTE) programs under Michigan Career Pathways
- Facilitating Articulated College Credit (Free College Credit) available in many of the LISD TECH Center CTE programs
As seen in the video above JC/LISD Academy – A Regional Middle College, is a creative learning option for students right here in Lenawee County.
Southern Michigan Center for Science and Industry
The Southern Michigan Center for Science and Industry (SMCSI) came to be in 2014 to better serve the city of Hudson and the surrounding county in STEM education and career advancement. Courses are provided for adults and high school students from both the Hudson and regional area, and include training for: robotics, CNC machines, and manufacturing.
Students who graduate from the program are prepared with the knowledge and skills to continue their education and receive advanced degrees in manufacturing and engineering or are prepared for entry-level manufacturing positions and many skilled positions.